Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole
(Makes about 10 servings, recipe created by Kalyn)
Ingredients:
18 eggs
2 T half and half or milk (Probably optional, but I usually use it if I have milk in the house.)
1 pound or more mushrooms, washed and sliced
(Use more mushrooms if the budget can handle it, I like brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but any mushrooms will work)
1/4 - 1/2 cup sliced green onions (optional, but good)
2-3 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
1 1/2 cups crumbled Feta cheese
(or 3/4 cups feta and 3/4 cups of another white cheese)
2 tsp. Spike Seasoning, or use any all-purpose seasoning blend that's good on eggs if you don't have Spike
fresh ground black pepper to taste (Spike and Feta both have salt, so I don't add more of that.)
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 9 X 13 inch or 10 X 14 inch glass casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices or half slices. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, then saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Layer the mushrooms, Feta, and green onions (if using.)
Beat eggs with milk until the yolks and whites are completely combined, pour over mushroom-Feta-onion mixture, then stir gently with a fork so that mushrooms. cheese, and onions are evenly distributed in the egg mixture. Season with Spike Seasoning and fresh-ground black pepper. (I don't add salt because Spike Seasoning and Feta both have it. If you don't have Spike, use any all-purpose seasoning blend that's good with eggs.)
Bake 40-45 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and the top is starting to brown. Serve hot.
This will keep for at least a week in the fridge and can be reheated in a microwave or in a covered pan on the stove.
This printable recipe from KalynsKitchen.com.


