Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mango Peperoncini Salsa with Red Bell Pepper, Lime and Cilantro

(Makes about 2 1/2 cups salsa, recipe created by Kalyn)

1 cup diced mango pieces about 1/2 inch square (I used Ataulfo mangos, but any ripe mango will work)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper pieces about 1/2 inch square
1/4 cup finely diced peperoncini (or more)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)
4 T freshly-squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
hot sauce to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp. Green Tobasco sauce)
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
salt, to taste (I used sea salt)

Cut the mango cheeks away from the center seed, then cut away any mango flesh that surrounds the seed. Peel mango flesh, then dice into same-size pieces about 1/2 inch square and place into medium-sized plastic or glass bowl. Dice red bell pepper into pieces about 1/2 inch square and add to mango in bowl.

Drain a handful of peperoncini. Cut off stem end of each peperoncini and squeeze out seeds and discard. Dice the seeded peperoncini pieces until you have enough to make 1/4 cup finely diced peperoncini pieces (or more if you like it spicy.) Add peperoncini to mango-red pepper mixture.

Thinly slice green onions and add to mixture. Wash and dry cilantro (I used a salad spinner, but you can dry with paper towels.) Chop enough cilantro leaves to make 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and add to mixture. (You can use more if you really like cilantro.)

In a small bowl, stir together the fresh lime juice, ground cumin, and dash of hot sauce. Whisk in the olive oil until it's well-emulsified. Stir dressing into mango mixture, then season to taste with salt.

I like this best served right away, but it will keep in the fridge for a day or so if you have leftovers.


This printable recipe from KalynsKitchen.com.